Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Death on the road

No, this has nothing to do with the album by Iron Maiden. And no, it's not as if there's any gory content here or anything.


So like any other good university student, I brought a bus ticket for a trip yesterday (Saturday), since I don't want to get myself in a traffic jam, when all the students are going back after classes are done on Friday.

But anyway, I'm not going to talk about the bus services, or about the current hoo-ha on some of the 'death trap' hotspots during the Raya season.

Allow me to show you a few road ads (not signs, see) that I encountered during the trip back home, which are ominous, meh, and WTF (not necessarily in that order):


This ad really caught my eye when I first saw it a couple of month ago. Obviously, those two kids are based off the generally loved Upin & Upin, but I wonder if they purposely decide to do a poor man's version of those two, just for the lulz


Look at the kid on the right: I bet he'd make you look at the ad more than once, eh? Well, it did for me, just like a few other 'interesting' ads (the shaver ad where the models have weird hairstyle, anyone?)

But, honestly, don't you think 'Beras Cap Udang' is a rather 'skema' name? I thought it was an ad for a prawn cracker when I first saw this.



Auuu, I nak sihat too!

...actually, I don't know why I took this picture; probably I was just bored, heh.

I was going to complain about the process of rojak-ing Malay and English, but this ad won't do justice... OK, next:



Ah yes, there can only be '1', right?

Meh, I'd take this 'One' anytime, anywhere:



This kind of ad makes me wonder whether these kind of trend will disappear come the next PM, just like what happened to 'Wawasan 2020'.

And don't forget about the ambigous, unclear, and ultimately shortlived motto of the last PM too (which was... whoops, it was so forgettable, that I forgot about it =P)


But at the end of the day, you'd better not let all these ads distract you (or, pray, the bus driver) from looking straight ahead. I mean, look, there's even a clear sign here - I'd say that it's Godsend:

The ominously skull-shaped hill seems to say, "you are in a death zone!'


This message was brought to you by a bored person with a lot of time on his hand.

Selamat Hari Raya, and have a safe journey home~

No comments:

Post a Comment