Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

A funky philosophical ride after a dose of shroom

You know, I had my dose of 'shroom just now, and right there, while reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything (it's a mighty good book - I'd recommend everyone to read it), I began to ponder the philosophical question of human existence:

Mushroom - it's good for you!

Ask any astronomer, and they will attest to you how large and spacious our universe. How distant the star, how old the galaxy, how far we have come from the Big Bang.

Ask any geologist, and they will recite dates that goes not in years, but million of years, of events which are considered recent. The time when we could discern the evidence of earliest life form, events in the past which goes on scales so slow that they'd look awfully slow in our fleeting human lifetime.

And any normal layman who are not versed in these fields might thought, 'and how do they know all of this?'

Well, I've read the book several times, and the way how we came to know of some (our knowledge are so little) of the answers to the nagging questions never fail to amaze me. To be able to observe nature is one thing, but to (convincingly) explain how it all place together in the whole grand scheme... it's certainly marvelous. Humans are so amazing.

Which brings to this one crucial question: we are so self centered aren't we?

When we look at the brief period of written human history, we felt as if we were there since everything began. We never think of our own short life span, much less how little the whole history of the human race when compared with the overall time span that has passed since all of this began.

But really, does it all make any difference if we thought so? All those unthinkable period of time, distance, alien concept - do they really matters to us humans who are oh-so-full of desires, aspirations, dreams, blood, sweat, tears, and whatever else in between?

Think about it: before we are here, do the world even know we are coming? And after all the human race is gone (unless if we somewhat manage to survive like bacterias and viruses - constantly evolving, changing, adapting - but I'll leave it to the future generations to ponder on that) , does it matter the least whatever in the world happens with this, well, world?

So who cares if we get more ice ages, or if the Sun starts to expand, or if the continents moved and amalgamate to form a supercontinent? Certainly outside of human, all this are pretty mundane and pointless... don't you think?

Now, in this (rather shabby) philosophical thought, what underpin this whole rambling - what gotten me started on this - is the question: is there a higher deiti(es) after all?

No, before anyone grills me and accusing me of bringing about heresy (or those who came to embrace that notion), let it be known that I am merely trying to point out how our ancestors of old have come to believe in all those spirits, guardians, deities - whatever you call the unknown, the being(s) that control what is out of our control (yes I know that is not the best wording, but you get the idea).

And if you take the whole idea of evolution as true, that we retain some animalistic features from our much much early ancestors... then it does seem interesting how we are to believe in the Unknown. Do animals act that way? Or is that a mysterious feature that occur in our species? Could it be, could it be...?

For the sceptics, I wonder how they perceive a world that goes on without us, without a higher being, going on without a purpose. But well, in any case for as long as human speech and communication exists, the world revolves around our perceived large self - nature perhaps don't really give a leaping fuck to whatever happens to us, but so long as we life, I think it is natural to think we are the master of this world - never mind the fact how insignificant we are in this world.

There's really A LOT to be thought about this world... but maybe we'll do just fine without thinking that much, eh? Ignorance is bliss, and all that...

Meanwhile, some like this certain rambler, would go on and thinks on, perhaps after having his share on mushrooms...



I dunno, just felt like putting the song here

And for the record, the mushroom in question is the edible ones, the ones where you can put in soup. I wonder how the heck this rush of thoughts could come though. Philosphical thought inducing mushrooms I guess?

Now, if the mushrooms could induce some other reaction... but whop, I'm getting slightly ahead of myself here~

And I know, I'm a philosopher/spacing outer with pervert tendencies, yeaaaaa

There is no such thing as too many Patchy, so here's another one

2 comments:

  1. I've read this post like three times now and still can't tell whether your meal was of the psilocybin flavor, hee hee.

    Laymen.. The fact that some even ask such big questions immediately garners respect from me. So many fucking people live out their little nine-to-five lives without stopping to think. Content with their ignorance. I dislike such a simpleton mindset. I sound harsh, but yeah..

    We, and this world, are a mere mote of dust in the eyes of the greater universe. Ignorance is bliss, but that's the easy way out. As humans, before we begin to ponder and discuss such huge matters, need to acknowledge the fact that we really don't know anything, yuno what I'm saying.

    KEEP ON THINKING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nevah: I wonder that myself. I didn't have anything like seeing funky colours or the like, but suddenly these thoughts starts coming off...

    Mmm, I like your views on this matter. I think most people would gladly push all these as something for dry philosophy or boring science... but if you really think about it... it can really get you to think deeply (ok that's a bad way of wording it)

    Respect!

    ReplyDelete