Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Spur of the moment: building a problem

I'm sure by now most people are aware of one of the aspect of Malaysia's 2011 Budget - those who don't know much about the budget... raise my hand.

I'll be honest, politics and economics are two field that I practically have no knowledge of. Well, OK, that's not entirely true for the first case (it's sometime fun to hear debates between those politics people, not to mention that the word itself carry a bigger meaning than the one confined in elections), but I can't say the same for economics.

Anyway.

As with an increasing number of people, I am not in agreement with the building the proposed 100 storey mega-tower in KL... for now.

Now there are a lot of different voices that oppose the construction of the mega-tower, and while it might be convenient to point out that it it the oppositions who are making noise, I, with no association with the oppositions, belong to most of the other voices of protest: the people.

Yes, you want to build a building higher than KLCC. Yes, it is suppose to contain major infrastructures, and yes, it is supposedly for the good of us.

You sure? You sure it's not for the good of certain people? You sure it's not because you're following Dubai? And to the current Prime Minister: you sure it's not because you want to compete with the former PM, who has a number of mega projects under his wing through his ruling period?

You sure??

Here's an excerpt from an article regarding this issue; and for some reason, I lol'd:

Najib said that such projects exemplify the spirit of "Malaysia Boleh" or "Malaysia Can!", a national campaign conceived by former premier Mahathir Mohamad, a huge advocate of mega projects.

Mahathir, whose own schemes included the Proton national car and the multi-billion-dollar administrative capital Putrajaya -- both of which have failed to thrive -- has warmly endorsed the new skyscraper.

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? I don't know about you guys, but I thought 'Malaysia Boleh' has become something of a joke, long, long time ago.

Anyway, as I said, I'm currently not in agreement with the construction of the building. But who knows, maybe they'll change it into something more acceptable? Maybe it won't be a white elephant like those other mega projects by our dear past Prime Minister?

I'm not keeping my finger crossed for that tho. I'm in agreement with some of the people: what's the use of building yet another mega-project when there are other basic necessities for the people that should be taken care of first? Is another mega skyscraper really going to do us good? Maybe it's time for them to rethink about their idea of 'development'.

2 comments:

  1. *raises your hand*

    My knowledge on econs is not that great either, but I seriously think you are spot on right about the whole issue. It's nothing more than a desperate move to 'leave a mark'.

    And how kind of the newspaper to support Dr. M's endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's funny how this is the person they used to complain as being 'the old man who doesn't know where he stand'. That's the media for you.

    Then again, I'm sure many people protested when they wanted to build KLCC, Penang Bridges, Putrajaya - and look where we are now. Is history going to repeat itself? Who knows.

    ReplyDelete