Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

(Obligatory) New year post



So, it's gonna be the year of Mei Ling now. How did I fared during the year of Reisen and Tewi?

A lot of things have happened - just like any other year. I'm happy. I get depressed. I raged. I ponder. I worry. I sleep. Etc.

To be more specific, a few significant events took place last year. For one thing, I have finally finished my tertiary education study (3 years have passed so fast), and gotten a taste of what working life feels like. It was a period where I begun to speculate on my future, burdened with the fear of uncertainties, not knowing how things will work out. Now, I'm still waiting for my admission into Master level - hopefully everything will turn out great.

It is also during these time that I've came across two sets of work, both with somewhat contradicting (but somewhat rather similar) sets of philosophies - Fight Club and Dead Poet Society - which have shaped my current philosophy towards life. Anyone who haven't read and watched these two work - I would highly recommend to do so. It was during the period of depression and uncertainties that I've found them - and they've been pretty helpful.

New year resolutions... I've decided that I'm better off without them, seeing as most of them are only half-baked ones anyway.

...Well, if there is the need for one, it'd be for me to be a better person. You can't keep on being a self centered koala, I'd say. As much as I'm into solitude, I do enjoy traveling to other trees and plains.

(Why the koala simile? That, I might go on in future post)

Also, I've seen the fall and rise of a few people that I know, both online and out in the real world. I'm confused with them, I know what they're going through, I listened to their chronicles. I've seen them grovel, pained, in denial, angry, and in the end, breaking out of the despair.

So for those people: I'm glad that you've pulled through. Here's to a good year ahead; don't ever give up on yourself.


Anyone who remembered (or actually went to check) my post for 2011 would remember me posting some pictures there. So here we go, the ones for this year:






To put 2011 in picture form, I'd sum it with these two pictures:



This post is going off in several directions isn't it? Have a concluding haiku:


Two zero one one
That is like so yesteryear
Change your calendar!

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your achievements in the past year. I hope your admission into Master level works out well.

    I was hoping Fight Club and Dead Poet's Society would make an appearance in this post ;). Certainly a strange combination of films, but I can understand how they affected you. They definitely had an impact on me when I saw them, too.

    Your haiku made me giggle.

    All the best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nevah: Thanks man. I'm hoping it'd be a good year for all of us.

    Also, made a somewhat small change in the post there. Not a big change really, but I thought it'd be significant to at least mention on it.

    All the best to you too man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen Fight Club and thought it was an interesting film. I'll have to check out the other one.

    >don't ever give up on yourself.

    These are great words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jerry: Dead Poet Society is a mighty good film; go watch it when you have the chance!

    Can't remember where I've come across that phrase actually, but it's been stuck in my head since then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on getting into a Masters level program, I don't think I'd have the patience to take my studies that far =x

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lain: Thanks man (tho admittedly the long wait kinda make me afraid that I'd run out of steam once I actually get admitted - hopefully it won't happen)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen Fight Club. Haven't seen many movies at all, in fact. I've seen the other one though, but it was a long time ago. Can't remember it that well, but I think I thought it was good.

    I can't remember if I said it last time, but anyway, happy (late) new year, man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason I can't comment on your two latest posts. It's the same with this, I had to press reply on one of the comments to get this box to appear.
    I'm a loser, too. And yeah, being social is a hard task. Maybe even impossible.


    Change your calendar!

    Haha, I still have one from 2008 on my wall...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Link: Hey, happy new year to ya man C:. Been a while since I saw you.

    Don't mind those posts you saw then. 'twas written when I was feeling somewhat down. It was the closest I ever felt to abandon this place altogether... but yea. Nothing to see there now, mm.

    ReplyDelete