Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Radiohead have great song (and great video too)

While writing about narcissist and attention seekers in the last post, I was looking for the lyric of a song by a certain rock band from UK. I am of course referring to the great Radiohead (shame you if you don't know them =P), and the song in question is just "Just"



(Sorry for the poor quality, but the better versions have the embedding disabled =O)


Those who have been listening to Radiohead might have seen the enigmatic video to the song. To be honest, I have only watched the video once, and like many other people, wonder what the guy said at the end of the song.

Of course, I always told myself, that it doesn't really matters what the guy said, because in the end, the other people, as sung by Thom Yorke, "you do it to yourself"

But then I found a few comment on the song, where the subject of narcissism was brought up. And because I'm a typical lazy Malaysian (no offense to all you hard workers =P), I'll just copy-pasta the said comment:

"It doesn't matter what the guy said at the end of the (marvelous) clip. The effect is that he drags down everyone around him in his drama, which is exactly what happens when they keep on feeding the ever hungry ego of the narcissist."

With that in mind, after reading a portion of the lyric, I guess you could interpret it that way:

Can't get the stink off

He's been hanging round for days
Comes like a comet
Suckered you but not your friends
One day he'll get to you
And teach you how to be a holy cow

Anyway, I guess it's nice to have songs where you could interpret it differently... although the arguments can be pretty lengthy (and at most time, pointless). I wouldn't mind listening to other more linear, one-sided meaning songs tho - I'm a quite simple minded person, if you want to know the truth.


With that being said, I would like to once again mention that I'm all right with people wanting attention, except when they're too self centered and - here comes the word - narcissistic (in its meanest).

Right, enough about me complaining about those guys (as if I'm not one, heh). I'll probably complain some more in the next post, but it won't be about the aforementioned people - you can take my word for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment