Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2022

Comic Fiesta 2022: comics review

With a four year gap since my last trip to Comic Fiesta - I had skipped 2019 one due to work commitment, and then Covid happened - I was very excited to finally be returning to what is undoubtedly the largest anime/comic/game etc convention over here. 

While personally, the highlight of the event was catching up and meeting with friends and other like minded fans - which regrettably came with a healthy dose of dealing with bullshit lines and sea of people  - I know that this event was a chance for me to check what some of the most brilliant and hardworking artists have to offer - and that to really optimize the experience, I would want to at least plan in advance to seek out booths which are exhibiting comic books (in which this interactive map is a godsend!)

Seriously, take a look at the annotated map I prepared prior to attending the event:

I didn't end up buying from ALL the marked booths - but I damn tried to at least have a look-see! 


And what of them? Just how many comics did I end up purchasing off the event? Well:


And so after spending a week with them, I figured a review is in order… Since it's Christmas and all, consider this my present: some rambling subjective thoughts on some shitty comics... among other comics! 

Shhhh, Doraemon. I know


The Deep Shit vol.2 by shitty wolf

Booth: OSUGATARI (B-K24)

Facebook 


What, you thought I was being confrontational about there being shitty comics? 

Given the crude title of the series (yes, there’s a whole series of these shitty books), I keep coming back to them. Why is that? Could it be that despite what one might be predisposed when reading the title, that there is something more to the shitty shit comics? That, like that undigested corn kernel that you discharged along with the rest of your bodily waste, there’s actually something… more?

Stacks of shits 


…Nah, I’m sure the artist just want to push how far he can get away with drawing and talking about shit. And that’s cool.

I don’t really have any strong thesis statement or selling point on this and the rest of the book in the series, other than this shit’s fun yo.


Shit’s Shitty Shit vol.2 by shitty wolf


Holy alliteration, Batman!

Right, okay, so if I wipe off the shit from my nose and put on my pretentious monocle for a bit, I would say that there is indeed a method to the author’s shitty (I say that in the most endearing way, okay??) storytelling: while the other book goes for a general social commentary/daily observations, this book, featuring the positively putrid poopy personality, aims for a more conventional story, with some pulling-the-heartstring moments as well.
Shit with heart of gold, is how I might want to try and sell this book?


afterlife by Maya Schmidt

Booth: Maya Schmidt (B-F02)

Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Website 


Now although this seemed like a weird follow up to the last book, trust me when I say that this, and SSS are actually pretty similar… in spirit (geddit? cos both stories share a key point on touching on the afterlife, spirit, ghost, the shining light of the human spirit and blah blah blah)

Ahem.

This book feature two short story, done with economical panelling, and clean and simple style that befit their simple story. I’m afraid I can’t really offer much else input about the book huhu… ohhh, except maybe the fact that compared to the other books that I bought, this one is printed in this rough, textured paper, which I love.


Monstering by Lalage

Booth: Lalage (B-M23)

Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Behance 


I made the point in my other review of their book before, but it’s worth repeating that I love the illustrated storybook style that the artist employed in their works - with the use of borderless panel and speech bubbles that clearly guide you for a flawless reading experience. Inspiring stuff, something which I would really love to implement in my own work.

Page from their other work, The Nonicorn


You know, I happen to follow the artist AFTER I came across their works at local convention, and not really the other way round… so I really picked this book up without that much preconception on the series that they’ve been working on prior to the publishing of this book.

Anyway, I mentioned that point because there was a key point near the end of the book which got me ‘hang on, isn’t that character the one that…?’. Tho I suppose that detail was already telegraphed right there on the cover…. Neat little foreshadowing there.


The Little Red Rhodes Hood by Scull

Booth: Digusted X Scullwork (P-D15-16)

Twitter | Facebook | Pixiv | Twitch


Confession: I saw that the artists was advertising the book series prior to CF, and since I did not played or consumed any other Arknights media, I really did not plan to pick this up… yet picked them I did, because of peer pressure wanting to support fellow artist friend, yo! (seriously, one cannot discount the fact that these kind of factors can sometimes play a role in how one decide to spend their hard earned money at events… but anyway)

You know, my first impression of my read through was how I feel the story could use more variation in the panelling/page design, since it’s quite basic and not really flashy… but I think for the purpose of this story, telling it in the most straightforward and no-frill way is a good way to go. At least, given my total noob-ness when it comes to the setting/lore of the series, this was a pretty light and enjoyable read.


The Little Red Rhodes Hood 2 by Scull


The artist commented while I was browsing their booth that the art works got better over the course of the book series - with three years gap between the two books - and I think the pages speak for itself.

This book has been similarly quite a pleasant read, although I imagined it could have easily gone deeper into in-series jokes/lore which are impenetrable for those without prior knowledge of the series… Perhaps the slice of life format of the books lend itself to having a lower barrier of entry? I certainly am intrigued to get the third installment - gonna put a pin on that, if I do happen to come across the artist's booth again in the near future.

Oh, yeah. Maybe going off on a different tangent here: but given that I have seen the artist’s submission in our Touhou Project anthology maaany moons ago:

Page from their other work, The Great Gensokyo Cookery Showdown


I can’t help but feel that the preview page of the book earlier is a clear example of the artist injecting their personal taste and interest into their work. Very cool.


Rosebud Issue 1 by Noa

Booth: Nuggetmoths (B-M27)

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Carrd 


Let’s just get this out of the way first: an A4 size feels quite unwieldy for a comic book, according to my personal preference. But heyyy an A4 FULL COLOURED comic book for RM25? That’s a bargain right there.

To describe the book in one word: gorgeous. I am not sure that without the colours, the story would have similar reading impact to me: when the story really dials up its subjectivity, the rendering and colour of the pages shift from its shades of yellow and brown into a more painterly rendering with its pure pink/pastel hue. The story is paced really well with enough given about the main character for you to follow and care (a big challenge when one is writing an original story such as this).

Okay! I wanted to share another page, cos look at itttttt


The ending feels rather unsatisfying, though: I can sense that the next part of the issues would jump off right away from the last panel, but I feel like it’d be more impactful if there was more panels spent on the main characters before we jumped straight to that final panel page…? Still, I won’t say it diminish my enjoyment of this book - it’s my favourite out of the whole purchase, and I would readily recommend it to any other readers. I hope to see the artists continue to explore the characters and story in the upcoming issues! 

No comments:

Post a Comment