Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Comic Fiesta 2018: reflection and review

I noticed that among the last recent post on this blog was that of Comic Fiesta (way back in 2016), and from the time of that writing, I have managed to participate in the last two years as booth owner under the collective circle of HiBiscuits. And I thought, well I have some things to talk about, and I haven't updated the blog in ages, sooooo.




Having been in the position of attending the event as boothing artists, it certainly gave me a different perspective on the attendees attitude, on why certain merchandise are preferred over others (one attendee explicitly said - offhandedly, to another guy - how he's not much of a reader, and I suspect that is a pretty common mindset for most other attendee). I can really see that for your average attendee to CF, going through all the booths at the event might not be that high in their priority list. Speaking for myself, back when I would go to CF in (cosplay) groups, I didn't really spend that long at the artists' booths....

But as was with previous years, I do try and cram in my schedule to look for other booth's book releases - very curious to see some of the artists' willingness to work on the medium, believing in the inherent power of storytelling, at the same time affirming that there were quality work being made. Making comic IS hard, and sometimes you wonder if it was all actually worth it all...

But looking at the amount - and variety - of books that are being put out, there's every reason to be optimistic. I would hope to see more good work being put out, they really give some much needed kick in the pants that I should work on my craft and not be making excuses for lack of execution...

With all that being said... I bought some books off from the event!

To call these a review makes me feel a bit of handing a false promise – I don’t really consider these as critics? – so... lets just say that I’m going to be talking about some books I bought off Comic Fiesta last weekend! 

(also made a conscious effort to note the booth name for future event hunting :3 ) 



feelings, by archfriend (various artists)
Circle: Archfriend (Booth P-D13)

They have four books under their collective group name during the event, and I chose the one based on the themes of ‘feelings’… because I’m a sappy guy? One of the artists did made a remark they were just winging it with the theme, something about them not really being into the whole lovey dovey mushy thing, stuff like that.

The first part of the series (‘Ojol and Cupcakes’, by Archie the Redcat) is perhaps the type of story that you’d think when you hear of the theme of the book, with a more cute style befitting of its simple story; the second part of the series (‘Aquarium Care For Beginners’, by Azisa Noor) is perhaps my favourite out of all the series, with a more restrained and contemplative narrative; the third part (‘White Swan & I’, by Rama Indra) is the most dynamic one yet, with plenty of action and clean lines, and it does feel like it could easily be developed (or if’s already did, belong) into a much larger series; and the final part (‘Important Thing’, by Marwan Islami) ends the series on a more sad note than the others, which I haven’t really been expecting after the more uplifting mood from the rest of the collective.

From the preface this is apparently their tenth book under the collective name? I’m pretty interested to check their other collective works if they make their round over here again, seeing as they are apparently Indonesia based.



Agari: The Search For Friends, by Nori
Circle: KAMCAO/CloverAureate (Booth B-D11 – B-D12)

A collection of 4-komas, this is a light read with a light-hearted feel to it. Kinda have that children storybook feel to it (which the author have alluded to such in the afterword). And speaking of the afterword, I’m very curious to find these 4-koma A5 notebook that they speak of – which apparently is only stocked at Muji in Japan… (or at least that was the state of thing in 2016).

Sometimes I like to unwind from the more heady stories, and a story about a mushroom sprite looking for friends do that just nice.



Terrible Travels, by Azisa, Adi Fitri, & Stephani
Circle: unnamed (Booth B-E12)

I’m familiar with the work of Adi and Stephani (and had only found Azisa work in the archfriend collective), so I’m picking this one more of seeing how they tackle travelogue comics. The Istanbul story by Adi feel like the one that is the most conventional as far as travelogue comic goes – with greater emphasis on the localities, and a lot of going around places – while the Borneo trip by Stephani and Bandung-Jakarta commute by Azisa goes for a more report-style and slice of life feel to it.

Terrible travels these might be, but not a terrible book at all.



Cosmic Reaction, by Sean Sonsona
Circle: unnamed (Booth B-E12)

This book caught my attention the first time I took a casual browsing, with clear European comic influence – economic lines, flat bold colours – which was pretty interesting considering its origin from the Philippines, a place which I have an impression to have a strong western (more towards superhero) art influence.

The book is divided into three short stories, and it took me a few pages in to quickly realize the whole stories are told with not a single speech or sound. This really leave you with room to wander in the stories, whether it be the shootout in ‘Ace: The Acquaintance Party’, the journey into the weird and strange in ‘The Crystallium Trail’, or the beatdown in ‘Zam: The Conqueror’. I have a bit of soft spot for those working on these European comic style and silent comic – both I would consider ‘economic’, and not much explored by artists here – so reading this has been a visual treat indeed.



Osugatari Days, by rabbit-miza
Circle: Osugatari (Booth B-E13)

What a cute story. Being part of a doujin group, this is immediately relatable. I’m sure it’s a pretty common story for most other group on how they get started in the first place, and if I could be allowed to hijack this and say something to the other artists out there who are thinking of boothing at events: find a group of friends and go for it!

I haven’t found other comic that function as both autobiography and how-to, this is so cool.




The Deep Shit, by Shitty wolf 
Circle: Osugatari (Booth B-E13)

Total word count of the word ‘shit’: 79 (including covers)

This is something which I would consider as a shameless story (if not how would you title your book as such?) but it’s not a total shitshow (well, I mean /besides/ the obvious literal poop being drawn here). I think one way to sell on this story is that it’s a social commentary which uses excrement to highlight the absurdity of it all (the part about how shit evolves across people is perhaps my favourite). Or maybe it ties to the universality of people’s stupidity too? You know the saying, same shit, different-

But I guess like the author themselves imply in one part of the story, no matter how one try to ascribe deeper meaning to it, a shit is still a shit. Self awareness much?



Inktober 2018, by VieN
Circle: Osugatari (Booth B-E13)

At this point I think most people have already made up their mind on where they stand on the nature of the artist work – you either love em or hate em.

I do want to say that I’m very impressed with the fact that this book is a compilation of Inktober in comic form – with most other Inktober book in the event mostly illustrations, this one does feel more ambitious. There’s a bit more of slice-of-life strips in here; the artist mention about it being a difficult time for them of late, so seeing pages like this one feel like they are self-care for the artist.

All the best in future endeavor, Vien!



Robber Band, by Gioseppe Custodio
Circle: BnB: Ben and Buddies (Booth B-G10 – B-G11)

Another Philippines artist in the list, and this one leans towards a more ‘indie’ style, with brush linework with a lot of blacks. While the style choice might not be intentional in the feel of the story, I think it works well with the middle part of the story, where it dips into a heist (ohh, so that’s why this book is titled that). Add in more black shadows on the characters, some grizzled detectives and more cynicism and moral ambiguity, and this could well fall into noir.

I have to say that this style might be quite a turn off to most people, but personally it’s a breath of fresh air to see other artists going for a more –without it being demeaning – unpolished look. More rock ‘n roll, yo.



This Night We are Whole, by Benjamin Chee
Circle: Rolling Ronins (Booth B-G19 – B-G20)

Reading this book, and having checked a couple of other works from the artist, I do have an impression that period piece is where the artist have a strong affinity with. And for this particular story, tabletop role-playing game is the chosen theme – which could have easily gone down a more in-depth and technical at the risk of alienating the, ah, normies (like me) but it was not the case. It was interesting to see how the game is used as a stand in for a larger narrative in the story, pretty cool.

I recalled hearing from a podcast somewhere while writing this on how one guy usually get chosen as a game master because of him being better at telling story, and I can see how there’s point to be made about role-playing game being similar to an improv… But I guess I’m getting off tangent here.  Fun book, I like the art style (which I guess is kinda… indie-ish? My preference is pretty obvious, isn’t it).



The Impostor’s Hymn, by Max Loh
Circle: Rolling Ronins (Booth B-G19 – B-G20)

And yet another Inktober comic compilation! Though this one is more ambitious, with it telling a more focused overarching theme (note to self: make up for the missed Inktober this year with something more focused!). The book shape and size is very curious, and that is what immediately struck me on first browsing. Was the shape chosen ‘cos it’s hip to be square?

Anyway. When artists talk about the pursue of their craft, it’s pretty easy to go down the path of self-deprecation, with the whole aspect of it being painful – insert that oft repeated joke on how you can’t spell ‘painting’ without ‘pain’ – that it’s easy to forget the joy of creation. Having gone through an entirely not-unique-position of experiencing cycle of self-loathing in art, I could see myself returning to this whenever I need some pick-me-up. Very much recommended, this.



The Nihongostan Passport: Return Of The Tudung, by various (?) traveler 
Circle: Rolling Ronins (Booth B-G19 – B-G20)

A set of itenaries of a bunch of misfits travelling to the Land Of The Rising Sun? That concept is good enough to warrant me picking up a copy. And dat pun.

Didn’t think this was intended as a more visual travelogue, but maybe having odd pieces of travel memorabilia (receipts? brochure?etc) would add more being-at-there-feel to the book. But I guess the empty pages behind is there for any potential traveler to fill in with their own things from potential future travel?



The Nonicorn, by Lalage
Circle: Lalage (Booth B-G21)

Another one of the coloured comic in the list. The colour choices and character designs are very pleasant, and I like how there are no hard lined panels throughout the pages – it really reinforced the storybook feel of the story. So good. Interestingly the book is fully in character, up to the point of the afterwords – to give more immersion of it being a storybook, I think.

There was another comic book by Hwei –breaking out of the book being in character there – at the booth that I missed out, which seems to be a more ambitious work. Maybe next time…



Rythm Me Rythm, by Xiao Ming Tang/imtxm 
Circle: IMTXM X ELANOR CHUAH (Booth B-A17)

Going into some illustration books now. Why not?

There’s nary an explanation on any of the illustrations here, which I think really give a more mysterious theme of the illustrations. Bold, thick lines with a lot of black, I really like this. I’m curious to see if the artist does any comic work with these kind of artwork…



Millionthony Livetano, by KBY
Circle: HiBiscuits (Booth B-G13)

Who says I can’t give some props to the release from our own booth? :V

KBY has this sensibility to his art that I really like – something about his mix of cool, humour and cute, if I want to try and put it in words. Would recommend anyone who’s not familiar with his stuff to check his other works, they show great potential.



1:1, by kiDChan
Circle: cyanparade (Booth B-H17 – B-H18)

The illustrations are too nice for me to colour in.

If I want to nitpick about this book, it is that it might work better as a colouring book with more bold and cleaner lines? (these are more of a pencil-ish texture).

I got a free bag with a purchase for one of the book. Lookit! 


Anddd that's all for Comic Fiesta. Hope to see everyone again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment