Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

You can change your life (book review)

Change. It comes in different form, from something that is potentiall life changing to something that we simply do because we feel like so. How common it is for us to think, 'if only I had much more money rather than being broke by the end of the month'? Or perhaps, 'I wish I wasn't as unhappy as I am now'? Or maybe something even much more smaller, such as 'I should pick up a hobby', or the ever popular 'I need to lose weight'. 

No matter how ambitious or petty our goals, we know that to actually reach there could only mean one thing: something needs to be changed.


Very recently, I found this book - You Can Change Your Life, by Rob Yeung - in a nearby bookstore during my trip to stock on more books to read in my free time. It might be fitting then that I picked this up, as I was at that point thinking of changing my lazy habit of not reading much (good) materials in recent time.

Now, I can't say that I myself have read much of those self improvement books - although I indeed have sought those now and then in times where I feel like I need a boost to my self esteem and personal growth. However, there's just those upbeat and overly optimistic tone in certain books that make it hard for me to really feel a strong drive to follow the advices - maybe fellow pessimist can agree upon the point where cheerful motivation might actually end up making you even more self conscious of your condition.

Fortunately, the book does not fall into that category, and that is something that I look for in those self-help books. And not only that, the author doesn't simply talk upon the steps that he has laid out in the book: he backed it up based on the work of others - mostly researches by scientists in the field of psychology. Sounds pretty good so far, right?

But that's not all. What I really like about this book is how systematic the points are presented, with the words doesn't end up in long winded explanation on why you should take certain steps and such. The abundant real life recalling of his work with clients and the people around him that deal with changes also helps put things into perspective - and doesn't end up as some author who can't stop talking about his own 'success story'. Which is something worth noting - since the author doesn't hesitate in mentioning how certain self-improvement books are just plain wrong in their intention to help.

Overall, what set this book apart from the other self help books is how the author actually set up some working plan (or manifesto, as he had boldly called it) for you to make a change in your life. For example, I've never actually thought of the power of planning in making a change - which is perhaps why most of us never seem to be able to get ourselves to make that change in our life. There is also a handful of exercise for you to get your change plan working - to make it from mere thoughts to actual plan. This book is an interesting and rather light read - I managed to finish it in a few days amidst bus trips and reading at night - that you don't have to swim through sea of words and jargons to actually get yourself to make the change.

I would highly recommend this to any people who are considering making some changes in their life... heck, I'll recommend this to any people who fancy a good read! The well laid out content of the book and some activities to get you to actually take action makes the whole change plan something realizable, instead of just saying 'I'll do it... eventually'.

The question is, are you ready for change?

Somehow I bet you saw this coming

No comments:

Post a Comment